Monday, July 5, 2010

'shrooms

I see that it's been six entries since my last note about pickles.
Clearly this must be remedied.

^
Pickled Mushrooms

Yes - I have pickled mushrooms!
Which, let's face it, is as close to pickled dirt as you can get.

I couldn't find any one recipe that was 100% satisfactory, so I cobbled together common elements from the ones that looked decent, and here's what I came up with:

1 1/2 cups each white wine vinegar and water
2 generous tbs pickling spice
1 tsp coarse salt
1 generous pinch brown sugar (don't go overboard)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
red onion, thinly sliced, enough to provide a few rounds of rings
1 lb button mushrooms, about 1 inch in diameter

Throw everything but the onions and mushrooms in a pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add the (cleaned) mushrooms, simmer 3 minutes. Add onions, simmer additional 7 minutes. Spoon mushrooms and onions into jars, cover with brine, seal, and process 5 minutes in a canning bath if desired.

I desired.

It was my first time canning, and it was amazingly rewarding. I have pickled mushrooms in my pantry now, and I have every assurance that they will not kill me when I eat them!

... I hope.

2 comments:

  1. I should note that I pretty immediately tried some of these pickles, and they are delicious. Matt even likes them, at which I'm shocked.

    I'd let them pickle at least 3 days for the flavors to develop. They are very mushroomy, which I didn't expect. All that simmering yields yummy results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever heard of such....sounds delicious!!
    Still raining here...unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete