Monday, July 26, 2010

Green Zebra!!

This is a Green Zebra tomato.

I have wanted to try one of these for years, and now I have them growing in my own backyard.

I wasn't sure what to expect upon my first tasting. All of the descriptions I've read describe it as slightly firmer and more tangy than "ordinary" red tomatoes, but I think people just expect that to be the case because it's green.

It is delicious. Sweet and sharp and juicy - it might be the most tomato-y tasting tomato I've ever had the privilege to eat. It's tiny, but there is so much flavor in there!

I used it to make what Matt describes as the best salad he's ever had (thank you thank you). Green leaf lettuce with green zebra tomato and blanched harvester bush beans, dressed in a warm serrano lime vinaigrette.

Served with a left-over baked potato thing I got at some fast food place on Friday.

2 comments:

  1. That really says a lot since Matt is not a real fan of veggies............or do I have that wrong? Anyway, it looks great, both the tomato and the salad! I have never tried a Green Zebra. Will have to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He used to think he didn't like salad, but it turned out he just didn't like iceberg lettuce. Everything else he likes okay, except for onions. He even went through a brief vegetarian phase.

    Anywho, he's been chasing the perfect salad for 3 years, and he says this might be it.

    Yay!

    ReplyDelete