Monday, August 23, 2010

Who are your influences?

This is my cookbook collection:
5 Asian (2 Thai?)
3 Mexican
4 Regional American
1 Spanish
1 Moroccan
1 by some French guy
1 from New Zealand
1 specifically for Cheese
1 specifically for Sauces
4 all-inclusive
Some paper print-outs
Some catalogs
1 memoir
Some geared towards Simplicity, and some decidedly Not.

This collection has arrived by careful picking through bargain bins, gifts from people who know I like to cook, and a husband who likes to spend his free time at discount bookstores.

(Gifts from Matt, within the last three weeks:

...not that I'm complaining)

Some of my favorite books of all time are on that shelf (Alton Brown, ftw!), and I honestly believe that without them, my life would not be as rich as it is. I sure as hell couldn't cook as well as I do. The more you read, the more you absorb... the more ideas you get.

You start thinking.

Incorporating.

Wondering.

.. and then maybe you understand that certain flavors go together, and certain ingredients might not be such strange bedfellows.

And maybe you come up with something like teriyaki-marinated tofu served on a bed of tzatziki, drizzled with a chinese chili garlic sauce and teriyaki reduction, with an herb salad dressed with warm serrano-lime vinaigrette on the side.

And maybe it's the best thing ever.

...And maybe not.
But you'll never know if you don't try.

1 comment:

  1. No one can say you're not creative!!
    Way to go Girl!
    Nine days 'til you leave!!!!!!!
    Wahoo!!

    ReplyDelete