Saturday, August 28, 2010

Garlic Soup

Garlic. In. Everything.
This is my motto.

So you can imagine how thrilled I was when I came across a recipe for Garlic Soup during a random search though my Gourmet cookbook. I had been looking for gingerbread, but... my plans changed.

I tried it; I loved it.
I tried it again; I loved it again.

And so I planned to document its creation and share it with you, dear readers, upon the first given opportunity since the advent of this blog. That opportunity occurred on August 28, 2010.

Step One: Thinly slice one head of garlic:

Yes, one head of garlic.
About 2 inches in diameter.

Step Two: Cook the sliced garlic in 3 tablespoons of olive oil over low to medium heat, until it is tender and lightly golden:


Step Seventy-eight: Garlic Soup with fried crusty bread and poached egg, garnished with fresh cilantro:


... I kinda forgot to take pictures during the process.
Sorry.

Basically you remove the garlic from the pan and fry some sliced bread in the garlic-infused oil, two pieces per person, about two minutes per side. Put the bread into empty soup bowls.

Pour 4 cups of poultry stock (preferably homemade), 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, and the cooked garlic into that same pan, and bring to a simmer. Slide some eggs in there and poach them until they're done - whites cooked, but yolks still runny.

Plate by putting the cooked eggs on top of the bread, spooning the broth around, sprinkling with cilantro, and squeezing some lime over the whole thing.

When you tuck in, the broth turns a lovely light buttery yellow, and the bread becomes creamy and velvety by the finish.

So Good.

I have the exact recipe, if anyone's interested.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds absolutely YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want the recipe; I want it RIGHT NOW!!! :) (Brandi)

    ReplyDelete