Saturday, September 3, 2011

Pilgrimage, Day Two.

(continued from previous post)

The Deli was open.

The Deli's almost always open.

But the first order of Sunday morning was breakfast.

We picked up an incredible cheese danish and an unbelievably dense, moist, and flavorful vanilla coconut macaroon from the bakeshop. Where we also picked up an olive oil coffee cake and four loaves of bread ( pecan raisin, brewhouse [beer-based], roadhouse [dense multigrain], and pumpernickel). Wish us luck with that.

After that, we bummed around the city's parks and hiking trails with the assistance of KITT (this trip wouldn't have been the same without him), before heading to the grand finale of our trek:

The Deli.

Oh my god - THE DELI.


(The sidewalk was under construction.)




(Eighty year aged balsamic on parmesan reggiano! For free! Just because!)



(Reubens!!!)



Then it was time to go. I'd be lying if I said I didn't cry a little. As Matt said, "I don't want to leave this place; I can only imagine how you feel..."

I feel like moving to Ann Arbor, that's how I feel.
Because, dammit!
Why do they get to have such a wonderland of edible delights??

But return home we must, and in the end we returned with the following:

A pound of corned beef; nicoise olives; emmenthal, raw milk stilton, and manchego cheeses; coffee cake (and coffee); tomato jam; german mustard; portuguese sardines; green zebra tomatoes; applewood smoked bacon; french lavender honey; a couple of books; a couple of Zzang bars - the best damn candy bar I've ever tasted; spanish picadillo peppers; pure lemon oil; violet sticky rice from vietnam; and the aforementioned four loaves of bread.

And a couple of t-shirts.

2 comments:

  1. (If you right click on the images, you can see bigger versions. Li'l trick I just figure out how to accomplish.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful trip...........especially for you! Now I see why you wanted to go back. So glad you had a good time. Thanks for sharing.
    Happy eating!

    ReplyDelete