Sunday, September 18, 2011

OMGWTFBBQCANDY!!!!1!

OK, so firstly, this is Michelle Walkey-Thornburg:

She's an artist and she makes lollipops.
Really, really awesome lollipops.

In flavors like:

Smoked Salmon


Toast

Beef Stew
(Holy INCREDIBLE, Batman. If I ever decided to leave my husband and run off with some candy, this guy would be the guilty party.)


Chicken

Pepperoni

And many others.

We met at a First Friday event a couple weeks ago and have since spent many hours on the phone and one very lively dinner together. I have sworn to be her writer forever in exchange for free candy.

Trust me, it's worth it.

What I love about these things is that the flavors meld so well with the sugars contained in the lollies. Like, the Toast flavor tastes of the caramelized sugars in freshly baked bread. The Beef Stew one plays on the richness of the gravy and the sweetness of long-cooked carrots and onions, of melt-in-your-mouth meat...

Clearly I could wax poetic about the Beef Stew lolly all day long, but seriously - It's an amazing product and I'm really excited for her.

At Friday's dinner, Michelle showed us all the flavorings and colors and molds and stuff. We also got to check out some amazing sculptures by both herself and her husband Aaron. It was ultra-uber-cool.

I've liked all the flavors of lollies that I've tried so far and I'm looking forward to trying the rest!


Except for Cheeseburger.
Kinda nervous about Cheeseburger.

6 comments:

  1. Really COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a very hard time imagining some of those flavors as lollipops. Does she have an etsy to sell them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lara - she only sells at local events currently, but she is expanding her reach very shortly. She's new to all of this, being an artist primarily, so she wants to make sure she has everything fairly standardized before she goes big. I'll mention etsy to her in case she's not thought of it before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you drag out your wedding dress just to pose with those lollipops?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ... yes. :-/

    (Matt's comment: "you're so f*ing weird.")

    ReplyDelete
  6. But it still looks good!!

    ReplyDelete