Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Necessity's a Mother.

It may come as a surprise to some people, but when I was young I was considered a picky eater.

I'm not sure why. I think it may have had something to do with being a ballerina since age three, thereby being peripherally raised in a culture where eating was discouraged. And/Or being stuck in an eight-year peanut-butter-&-jelly rut during my elementary/middle school years.

Nowadays, I'll eat anything not related to cognitive, digestive, or reproductive functioning. Although I might eat fois gras if it was put it front of me. And hot dogs in natural casings are awesome. Has anyone had a brain sandwich? I hear there's some fest around here that specializes in them...

I'm getting off track.

My point is that if I weren't now an adventurous eater, I would have never co-invented bacon-topped, peanut-butter-iced, dark chocolate cupcakes (hella good), nor would it occur to me to try herbed goat cheese on top of brownies (rather like a chocolate cream cheese danish - also yummy), or even blackberry jam on garlic texas toast (what would my life be like without you??).

In that vein, I happened upon:

Black Bean, Banana Quesadillas

C'est tres yummy.

Building on the Caribbean combo of plantains and black beans, I fashioned this combo out of laziness and hunger a few years ago, having nothing in the house to eat but some left-over black beans (cooked as mentioned in "Huevos Whatevers"), a banana, a few flour tortillas, some hot sauce, and a slice of provolone cheese.

It has since become a favorite dish.
It's possibly the best thing ever.


Smear some prepared beans on a medium flour tortilla, and top with one half of a banana, sliced. On top of that, sprinkle a light portion of shredded mild, white cheese, and top it off with another tortilla, also smeared with beans. Fry in a well heated skillet prepped with butter or oil until crispy on both sides and the cheese is melted (about five mintes per side). Served sliced and topped with a hot sauce that's not too vinegary (I use Hot Cock Sauce. For visual reference, check out my hot sauce cabinet).


^
Too much hot sauce, perhaps?
...Never!!




No comments:

Post a Comment