Monday, August 8, 2011

First Ever Plum Tart!

"I think I'm going to try making a plum tart. Frangipane's already done and all that."
"Frangipane... Is that what you're calling Pim these days?"

No, my darling smartass husband, that is not what I'm calling Pim these days, although I did get the recipe from her blog. Frangipane is, you may recall, that delicious blend of almonds, sugar, and butter that I concocted for my fig tart. I figured it would be equally yummy underneath some fresh plums, or at least worth a try, so that's what I did.

I still have no idea how to pronounce that word, by the way. I keep trying out different accents and emphases. You can imagine that up there said like Brad Pitt in "Inglourious Basterds," for example.

Anyway, so I let a portion of the stuff come to room temp from the fridge and sliced up four plums - which I got specifically because
they were labled Dragon Pluots in the store. (Advertising works!) I let them sit on paper towels while I was getting everything else ready, but I was still kind of nervous because I'd never made a cooked fresh fruit tart at all before, let alone one with such juicy components.

I did the same trick with my remaining sheet of puff pastry as with my fig tart, scoring a frame around the edge and docking the center so that it would form a sort of box around the fruit as it cooked. I spread the frangipane in the center and arranged the fruit prettily on top, said a prayer (which mostly went "please work, please work, please work"), and slipped it into the oven at 350 degrees.

I waited 30 minutes.

When I took it out, the edges looked done, but the center, as I had feared, was still very wet and pliable.

Boo!

I wrapped the edges in foil, adjusted the heat to 375, said another quick prayer, and put it back in the oven for another 15 minutes.

It worked!

The bottom was golden brown and sturdy, while the fruit still held its shape. The flavor is rich and intensely jammy, and the underlying sugar is just enough to temper the slight tartness of the fruit.

...And it's purtiful.
Seems to serve about nine.

2 comments: